Picking the Best Cabins on the Zaandam
A deck-by-deck analysis of the Zaandam's best and worst cabins.
Looking for the best cabins on the Zaandam? Want to find the cabin with a little larger balcony than most? And what about staying away from undesirable cabins on the Zaandam? How do you avoid the worst cabins on the Zaandam?
Help us improve this guide! Have you stayed in a great cabin on the Zaandam that we missed? Let us know! Is there better advice that we can give--we would love to hear from you. Use the form at the bottom of the page to let us know your thoughts. Your input will help other travelers.
Zaandam Best & Worst Staterooms: Summary
Best Cabins onboard the Zaandam: staterooms on Deck 7 -- the Navigation Deck. Deck 2 also has very nice staterooms.
Cabins to be wary of onboard the Zaandam: staterooms on Deck 6 - Verandah Deck.
Deck-by-Deck Breakdown of the Best and Worst Cabins onboard the Zaandam
Deck 1 -- Dolphin Deck
Cabins on Deck 1 of the Zaandam have cabins above them -- this means that they are typically quieter compared to cabins beneath the disco or sunbathing areas (the noise of moving deck chairs late at night / early in the AM).
- Cabins F1938-FF1964 (toward the stern / rear of the ship) may notice a bit of propeller vibration on the Zaandam's Dolphin Deck.
- Forward cabins H1804 and H1805 are oddly shaped and wheelchair accessible on Deck 1 of the Zaandam.
- M1887, MM1936, and MM1923 are by elevators and likely noisier than other cabins on the Zaandam's Deck 1.
- Cabins FF1964 and FF1955 are wheelchair accessible on the Dolphin Deck of the Zaandam.
Related: Zaandam Dolphin Deck Deck Plan (clickable deck layout to view individual cabin pictures and amenity lists)
Deck 2 -- Main Deck
Deck 2 of the Zaandam is going to be relatively quiet because the decks just above and beneath are also cabin decks. Exterior cabins are ocean view staterooms, beginning with E2520 more forward on this ship to E2709, and have ocean views which are quite lovely!
- On the Zaandam's Main Deck, interior cabins K2554 and K2555 are wheelchair accessible.
- Inside cabins L2660 and L2663 are next to elevators and may be noisier than other cabins on the Zaandam's Main deck.
- Forward ocean view cabins G2500 and G2501 are odd shaped and have wheelchair accessibility on the Zaandam's Deck 2.
- Aft on the Main Deck of the Zaandam, G2702, G2713, and G2715 have beautiful views of the ocean.
Related: Zaandam Main Deck Deck Plan (clickable deck layout to view individual cabin pictures and amenity lists)
Deck 3 -- Lower Promenade
Deck 3 on the Zaandam is right beneath several major public areas on the ship, such as the main dining rooms and the stage. However, given the operating hours of the venues, these are times when most people are out of their cabins so this shouldn't present a concern.
- On the Zaandam's Lower Promendae Deck, cabins C3329-C3332 are closest to the atrium and may be noisier.
- D3396 and D3391 are wheelchair accessible on Deck 3 of the Zaandam.
- Past guest reviews indicate that in cabin 3389, noises can be heard from the galley area directly above.
- Aft on the Zaandam's Deck 3, D3429 is wheelchair accessible and has a wonderful view of the ocean!
Related: Zaandam Lower Promenade Deck Deck Plan (clickable deck layout to view individual cabin pictures and amenity lists)
Deck 6 -- Verandah Deck
Some cabins on this deck with potential problems
Along the entire Verandah Deck, be aware that the main drag of the Zaandam is right beneath your feet -- including some areas that stay fairly noisy into the wee hours. This includes the Stage, Bars, Shops, Casino, and aft main dining room.
- Arguably, any cabin numbers from the middle of the ship to the aft of the ship (cabins AA6126-B6228) might have significant noise coming from the late night action below. While we are not discouraging you from reserving a cabin on this deck, some of the worst cabins on the Zaandam are on Verandah Deck! If you are a light sleeper, you may prefer a cabin elsewhere on the ship, or bring earplugs. You may also think about investing in a wave machine (a sound device available at a specialty retailer like Brookstone -- produces pleasant sounds that can wipe out the unpleasant sounds).
- Forward on the Zaandam's Deck 6, C6104 is a larger than average ocean view cabin.
- With the exception of five interior cabins and three ocean view staterooms, the Zaandam's Deck 6 entirely features Verandah Suites. These suites are over a hundred square feet roomier than most staterooms.
- Verandah category cabins in the rear of Deck 6 of the Zaandam, B6228 and B6225, have the highly sought after rear-facing views (where you typically don't have to worry about the balcony being too windy).
Related: Zaandam Verandah Deck Deck Plan (clickable deck layout to view individual cabin pictures and amenity lists)
Deck 7 -- Navigation Deck
***CruiseAdvice.org Favorite Deck ***
Highly rated by our cruise experts!
The Navigation Deck is without question the high-rent district of the Zaandam. This is where all the suites and penthouse category cabins are located. Navigation Deck is directly below Lido Deck, however. Given that this is where the high-dollar cabins are, this is also where the best cabin stewards are usually assigned. Cruisers may want to consider reserving near this area because staff service is likely to be excellent! Some of the best cabins are on the Navigation Deck on the Zaandam!
- Among the Verandah category cabins, A7087 and A7088 aft on the Zaandam's Deck 7 have the highly sought-after rear-facing views (where you typically don't have to worry about the balcony being too windy).
- Cabins located midship on Deck 7 of the Zaandam (A7036 through A7088) may sustain noises from the Lido activities including the pool area, especially when staff are moving deck chairs for cleaning during off hours.
- In the Deluxe Verandah and Penthouse neighborhood on the Zaandam's Navigation Deck, one interior stateroom (I7025) next to the exclusive Neptune Lounge is available.
- Deluxe Verandah Suite S7034 is wheelchair accessible on Deck 7 of the Zaandam.
Related: Zaandam Navigation Deck Deck Plan (clickable deck layout to view individual cabin pictures and amenity lists)