Picking the Best Cabins on the Statendam
A deck-by-deck analysis of the Statendam's best and worst cabins.
Looking for the best cabins on the Statendam? Want to find the cabin with a little larger balcony than most? And what about staying away from undesirable cabins on the Statendam? How do you avoid the worst cabins on the Statendam?
Help us improve this guide! Have you stayed in a great cabin on the Statendam that we missed? Let us know! Is there better advice that we can give--we would love to hear from you. Use the form at the bottom of the page to let us know your thoughts. Your input will help other travelers.
Statendam Best & Worst Staterooms: Summary
Best Cabins onboard the Statendam: staterooms on Deck 10 --the Navigation Deck. Deck 5 also has very nice staterooms.
Cabins to be wary of onboard the Statendam: staterooms on Deck 9 - Verandah Deck.
Deck-by-Deck Breakdown of the Best and Worst Cabins onboard the Statendam
Deck 4 -- A Deck
Cabins on the Statendam Deck 4 have cabins above them -- this means that they are typically quieter compared to cabins beneath the disco or sunbathing areas (the noise of moving deck chairs late at night / early in the AM).
- Cabins FF834-FF848 (in the stern / rear of the ship) may notice a bit of propeller vibration on Deck 4 of the Statendam.
- On the Statendam's Deck 4, cabins G704, G706, G709, and G711 are wheelchair accessible. G704 and G709 are also quite spacious!
- Cabins H700, H701, H702, H707, G704, and G709 are more spacious than standard on Deck 4 of the Statendam.
Related: Statendam A Deck Deck Plan (clickable deck layout to view individual cabin pictures and amenity lists)
Deck 5 -- Main Deck
Deck 5 of the Statendam is going to be relatively quiet because the decks just above and beneath are also cabin decks.
- Forward on the Statendam's Deck 5, cabin L500 is quite spacious!
- Inside cabins L658 and L653 are next to elevators and may be noisier than other cabins on Deck 5 of the Statendam.
Related: Statendam Main Deck Deck Plan (clickable deck layout to view individual cabin pictures and amenity lists)
Deck 6 -- Lower Promenade
Deck 6 of the Statendam is right beneath several major public areas on the ship, such as the main dining rooms and the stage. However, given the operating hours of the venues, these are times when most people are out of their cabins so this shouldn't present a concern.
- Cabins C390 and C389 are wheelchair accessible on the Statendam's Deck 6.
- On Deck 6 of the Statendam, cabins C328, C329, C330, and C331 are closest to the atrium and may be noisier.
- Aft on the Stantendam's Lower Promenade, D420, D418, D419, and D421 are larger and have great ocean views.
Related: Statendam Lower Promenade Deck Deck Plan (clickable deck layout to view individual cabin pictures and amenity lists)
Deck 9 -- Verandah Deck
Some cabins on this deck with potential problems
Along the entire Verandah Deck, be aware that the main drag of the Statendam is right beneath your feet -- including some areas that stay fairly noisy into the wee hours. This includes the Stage, Bars, Shops, Casino, and aft main dining room.
- Arguably, any cabin numbers from the middle of the ship to the aft of the ship (cabins B144-B175) might have significant noise coming from the late night action below. While we are not shunning this deck, some of the worst cabins on the Statendam are on Deck 9! If you are light sleeper, you may prefer a cabin elsewhere on the ship, or bring earplugs. You may also consider investing in a wave machine (a sound device available at a specialty retailer like Brookstone -- produces pleasant sounds that can wipe out the unpleasant sounds).
- On the Holland America ms Statendam's Deck 9, Spa staterooms and suites are to be had forward on this deck. These are exterior cabins CQ100-CQ116 Port side, interior cabins IQ112 and I108, and exterior cabins BQ118-BQ124 Portside and BQ101-BQ107 Starboard. Spa staterooms and suites feature spa amenities, which include an iPod docking station, an in-room countertop water feature, and yoga mats. Exclusive spa treatments are also available.
- If booking a Spa stateroom or suite on the Statendam's Deck 9, ask in advance about the smoking policy. Spa cabins are relatively new to Holland America, and it will be to your advantage to know of any changes in their general policy before booking Spa grade accommodations.
- On the Statendam's Deck 9, Verandah category cabins in the rear of the ship, BA220 and BA205 have the highly sought after rear-facing views (where you typically don't have to worry about the balcony being too windy).
Related: Statendam Verandah Deck Deck Plan (clickable deck layout to view individual cabin pictures and amenity lists)
Deck 10 -- Navigation Deck
***CruiseAdvice.org Favorite Deck ***
Highly rated by our cruise experts!
The Navigation Deck on the ms Statendam is without question the high-rent district of the ship. This is where all the suites and penthouse category cabins are located. Navigation Deck is directly below Lido Deck, however. Given that this is where the high-dollar cabins are, this is also where the best cabin stewards are usually assigned. So, if your budget only affords you an inside cabin, reserving one right across from a penthouse might be a very wise investment!
- Among the Verandah category cabins, A050 and A065 aft on the Statendam's Deck 10 have the highly sought after rear-facing views (where you typically don't have to worry about the balcony being too windy). However, the two cabins are also closest to the pool have may be a bit noisy.
- Cabins located midship on the Statendam's Navigation Deck (including S018-S045 and A032-A065) may sustain noises from the Lido activities including the pool area, especially when staff are moving deck chairs for cleaning during off hours.
- Inside cabin I029 shares wall space with Neptune Lounge and is likely to be noisier than other accommodations to be had on the Statendam's Navigation Deck.
- Interior cabins I029, I031, I037, and I039 are located in the posh neighborhood on Deck 10 of the Statendam, and hence nearby outstanding service.
Related: Statendam Navigation Deck Deck Plan (clickable deck layout to view individual cabin pictures and amenity lists)