Picking the Best Cabins on the Oosterdam
A deck-by-deck analysis of the Oosterdam's best and worst cabins.
Looking for the best cabins on the Oosterdam? Want to find the cabin with a little larger balcony than most? And what about staying away from undesirable cabins on the Oosterdam? How do you avoid the worst cabins on the Oosterdam?
Help us improve this guide! Have you stayed in a great cabin on the Oosterdam that we missed? Let us know! Is there better advice that we can give--we would love to hear from you. Use the form at the bottom of the page to let us know your thoughts. Your input will help other travelers.
Oosterdam Best & Worst Staterooms: Summary
Best Cabins onboard the Oosterdam: staterooms on Deck 7 --the Rotterdam Deck. Decks 5 and 6 also have very nice staterooms.
Cabins to be wary of onboard the Oosterdam: staterooms on Deck 4- Upper Promenade Deck.
Deck-by-Deck Breakdown of the Best and Worst Cabins onboard the Oosterdam
Deck 1 -- Main Deck
Cabins on the Oosterdam's Deck 1 have Lower Promenade just above, and noise could be a factor from the casino, bars, and lounges. Additionally, the cabins forward on the Holland America ms Oosterdam have some buffer to the main lounge, but are relatively close. All this said, budget minded travelers will find some of the roomiest inside cabins on this deck!
- On Deck 1 of the Oosterdam, staterooms F1001 and F1002 are larger than average, but are also most forward of the cabins on this deck and hence closest to the main lounge action. If noise is a concern, we suggest you consider purchasing a wave machine (a sound device available at a specialty retailer like Brookstone -- produces pleasant sounds that can wipe out the unpleasant sounds), bringing along earplugs, or reserving a cabin on a different deck.
- On the Oosterdam's Main Deck, cabins F1001 through E1127 may experience noise from the public areas just above.
- Exterior cabins F1001-E1127 all have ocean views on Deck 1 of the Oosterdam.
Related: Oosterdam Main Deck Deck Plan (clickable deck layout to view individual cabin pictures and amenity lists)
Deck 4 -- Upper Promenade Deck
Some cabins on this deck with potential problems
Along the entire Upper Promenade Deck, be aware that the main drag of the Oosterdam is right beneath your feet -- including some areas that stay fairly noisy into the wee hours. This includes the Stage, Bars, Shops, Casino, and aft main dining room.
- Arguably, any cabin numbers from the middle to the aft of the Oosterdam's Deck 4 (cabins VD4043-VD4159) might have significant noise coming from the late night action below. Once again, you may consider reserving a cabin elsewhere on the ship, bringing along earplugs, or investing in a wave machine.
- On Deck 4 of the Oosterdam, Deluxe Verandah Suites SC4180 and SC4185 are quite spacious and have great ocean views.
- Aft on the Oosterdam's Upper Promenade Deck, Verandah Staterooms VA4176, VA4174, VA4179, and VA4181 are larger than average and have beautiful ocean vistas.
- Aft Verandah Staterooms VB4178 and VB4183 are average sized, but share the same lovely ocean view as the neighboring larger suites on the Oosterdam's Deck 4.
- When reserving a cabin on Deck 4 of the Oosterdam, make sure you are not making reservations for a stateroom with partially obstructed if not completely obstructed views if this is important to you. This deck has numerous exterior cabins with obstructed views.
- While we are not suggesting this deck be completely avoided, some of the worst cabins on the Oosterdam are on the Upper Promenade Deck!
Related: Oosterdam Upper Promenade Deck Deck Plan (clickable deck layout to view individual cabin pictures and amenity lists)
Deck 5 -- Verandah Deck
Deck 5 on the Oosterdam is going to be relatively quiet because the decks just above and beneath are also cabin decks. From SY5001 forward on this deck to SC5191 aft, Verandah Deck's exterior accommodations feature lovely ocean views!
- At roughly 389 square feet, Superior Verandah Suites are well over 100 square feet larger than Verandah Staterooms. SY5001 and SY5002 are such suites, and are located forward on Deck 5 of the Oosterdam. These two suites are also wheelchair accessible. Unless there s a tailwind, be warned that these verandahs are likely to be quite breezy!
- Verandah staterooms VF5140, VF5137, VF5051, and VF5054 are wheelchair accessible on Deck 5 of the Oosterdam.
- Best picks on the Oosterdam's Verandah Deck are aft. Most spacious of all with great ocean views are Deluxe Verandah Suites SC SC5190 and SC5191.
- If space isn't an issue but great ocean viewing is, we also suggest VA5184 through VA5189 on the Oosterdam's Deck 5!
Related: Oosterdam Verandah Deck Deck Plan (clickable deck layout to view individual cabin pictures and amenity lists)
Deck 6 -- Upper Verandah Deck
Once again, here's a deck with cabins on the decks just below and above. Deck 6 cabins will be quieter than other locations on the Holland America ms Oosterdam!
- Forward on the Oosterdam's Upper Verandah Deck, VA6003 and VA6004 are wheelchair accessible.
- There are several Superior Verandah Suites (SZ6052-SZ6117) on the Oosterdam's Deck 6. Of these, SY6108 is wheelchair accessible.
- Deck 6 of the Oosterdam has some prime space and ocean views aft of the ship (Deluxe Verandah Suites SC6166, SC6164, SC6175, and SC6177).
- Also aft in a nice neighborhood on the Oosterdam's Upper Verandah Deck, VA6162 and VA6173 have incredible ocean views.
Related: Oosterdam Upper Verandah Deck Deck Plan (clickable deck layout to view individual cabin pictures and amenity lists)
Deck 7 -- Rotterdam Deck
***CruiseAdvice.org Favorite Deck ***
Highly rated by our cruise experts!
Rotterdam Deck is without question the high-rent district of the ship. This is where all the suites and penthouse category cabins are located. Given that this is where the high-dollar cabins are, this is also where the best cabin stewards are usually assigned. Cruisers may want to consider reserving near this area because staff service is likely to be excellent! Some of the best cabins on the Oosterdam are on Rotterdam Deck!
- The two Penthouse Suites on Deck 7 of the Oosterdam are among the largest in the Holland America fleet!
- The only interior staterooms in the upscale neighborhood on the Oosterdam's Deck 7 are J7149, J7051, and J7055. These are just across the hall from excellent staff service.
- Of the Deluxe Verandah Suites, SB7088 and SB7093 are oddly shaped and a bit roomier than the others on Deck 7 of the Oosterdam.
- Aft on the Oosterdam's Deck 7, Deluxe Verandah Suites SB7142 and SB7151 have heavenly ocean views.
- Also aft on Deck 7 of the Oosterdam, Veranda Staterooms with best views (and less windy verandahs) are VA7140, VA7138, VA7136, VA7145, VA7147, and VA7149.
Related: Oosterdam Rotterdam Deck Deck Plan (clickable deck layout to view individual cabin pictures and amenity lists)
Deck 8 -- Navigation Deck
Navigation Deck on the Oosterdam features several Superior Verandah Suites, and all exterior accommodations have Verandahs. However, Lido Deck is just above, so there could be a noise factor to consider from the Lido pool areas, such as scraping when staff move deck chairs for cleaning during off hours, and from the Lido casual dining.
- VA8034-SB8147 may be most affected by Lido noises on Deck 8 of the Oosterdam.
- On the Oosterdam's Navigation Deck, Verandah Staterooms VA8031 and VA8032 have wheelchair accessibility.
- Inside cabins I8037, I8041, I8045, and I8049 are more spacious than average on the Oosterdam's Deck 8.
- Of the Superior Verandah Suites, SS8094 and SS8099 are oddly shaped and boast a bit more room on the Oosterdam's Navigation Deck.
- Aft on Deck 8 of the Oosterdam , Deluxe Verandah Suites SB8140 and SB8147 have superb ocean views.
- Best views from a Verandah Stateroom can be had aft from VA8138, 8VA8136, VA8134, VA8141, VA8143, and VA8145 on Deck 8 of the Oosterdam!
Related: Oosterdam Navigation Deck Deck Plan (clickable deck layout to view individual cabin pictures and amenity lists)