Picking the Best Cabins on the Nieuw Amsterdam
A deck-by-deck analysis of the Nieuw Amsterdam's best and worst cabins.
Looking for the best cabins on the Nieuw Amsterdam? Want to find the cabin with a little larger balcony than most? And what about staying away from undesirable cabins on the Nieuw Amsterdam? How do you avoid the worst cabins on the Nieuw Amsterdam?
Help us improve this guide! Have you stayed in a great cabin on the Nieuw Amsterdam that we missed? Let us know! Is there better advice that we can give -- we would love to hear from you. Use the form at the bottom of the page to let us know your thoughts. Your input will help other travelers.
Nieuw Amsterdam Best & Worst Staterooms: Summary
Best Cabins onboard the Nieuw Amsterdam: staterooms on Deck 7 -- the Rotterdam Deck. Deck 5, 6, 10 and 11 also have very nice staterooms.
Cabins to be wary of onboard the Nieuw Amsterdam: staterooms on Deck 9 - Verandah Deck.
Deck-by-Deck Breakdown of the Best and Worst Cabins onboard the Nieuw Amsterdam
Deck 1 -- Main Deck
Cabins on Deck 1 of the Nieuw Amsterdam have Lower Promenade just above, and noise could be a factor from the casino, bars, and lounges. Additionally, the cabins forward on the Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam have some buffer to the main lounge, but are relatively close. All this said, budget minded travelers will find some of the roomiest inside cabins on this deck!
- On the Nieuw Amsterdam's Main Deck, F1001 and F1002 are larger than average, but are also most forward of the cabins on this deck and hence closest to the showroom action. If noise is a concern, we suggest you consider purchasing a wave machine (a sound device available at a specialty retailer like Brookstone -- produces pleasant sounds that can wipe out the unpleasant sounds), bringing along earplugs, or reserving a cabin on a different deck.
- Cabins F1001 through E1130 on the Nieuw Amsterdam's Deck 1 may experience noise from the public areas just above.
- Exterior cabins F1001-E1130 all have ocean views on the Main Deck of the Nieuw Amsterdam.
Deck 4 -- Upper Promenade Deck
Some cabins on this deck with potential problems
Along the entire Upper Promenade Deck, be aware that the main drag of the Nieuw Amsterdam is right beneath your feet -- including some areas that stay fairly noisy into the wee hours. This includes the Stage, Bars, Shops, Casino, and aft main dining room.
- Arguably, any cabin numbers from the middle to the aft of the Nieuw Amsterdam's Deck 4 (cabins VD4043-VD4179) might have significant noise coming from the late night action below. Once again, you may consider reserving a cabin elsewhere on the ship, bringing along earplugs, or investing in a wave machine.
- Deluxe Verandah Suites SC4176 and SC4183 on the Nieuw Amsterdam's Deck 4 are quite spacious and have great ocean views.
- Aft on Deck 4 of the Nieuw Amsterdam, Verandah Staterooms VB4178, VA4180, VA4182, VA4189, VA4187, and VB4185 are larger than average and have beautiful ocean vistas.
- When reserving a cabin on Deck 4 of the Nieuw Amsterdam, make sure you are not making reservations for a stateroom with partially obstructed if not completely obstructed views if this is important to you. This deck has numerous exterior cabins with obstructed views.
- While we are not suggesting this deck should be avoided entirely, some of the worst cabins on the Nieuw Amsterdam are on the Upper Promenade Deck!
Deck 5 -- Verandah Deck
Deck 5 of the Nieuw Amsterdam is going to be relatively quiet because the decks just above and beneath are also cabin decks. From SY5001 forward on this deck to SC5187 aft, Verandah Deck's exterior accommodations feature lovely ocean views!
- At roughly 389 square feet, Superior Verandah Suites are well over 100 square feet larger than Verandah Staterooms on the Nieuw Amsterdam's Deck 5. SY5001 and SY5002 are such suites, and are located forward on this deck. Unless there s a tailwind, be warned that these verandahs are likely to be quite breezy!
- Verandah staterooms VF5140, VF5135, VF5051, and VF5054 are wheelchair accessible on Deck 5 of the Nieuw Amsterdam.
- Best picks on the Nieuw Amsterdam's Deck 5 are aft. Most spacious of all with great ocean views are Deluxe Verandah Suites SC5186 and SC5187.
- If space isn't an issue but great ocean viewing is, we also suggest VA5188 through VA5193 on the Verandah Deck of the Nieuw Amsterdam!
Deck 6 -- Upper Verandah Deck
Once again, here's a deck with cabins on the decks just below and above. Deck 6 cabins will be quieter than other locations on the Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam!
- Forward on Deck 6 of the Nieuw Amsterdam, VA6001 and VA6002 are wheelchair accessible.
- There are several Deluxe and Superior Verandah Suites (SS6053-SS6113) on the Upper Verandah Deck of the Nieuw Amsterdam.
- Of the Superior Verandah Suites, SS6108 and SS6113 are oddly shaped and slightly roomier on Nieuw Amsterdam's Deck 6.
- Nieuw Amsterdam's Upper Verandah Deck has some prime space and ocean views aft of the ship (Deluxe Verandah Suites SC6164 and SC6175).
- Also aft in a nice neighborhood, VA6166, VA6168, VA6170, VA6181, VA6179, and VA6177 have incredible ocean views on the Nieuw Amsterdam's Deck 6.
Deck 7 -- Rotterdam Deck
***CruiseAdvice.org Favorite Deck ***
Highly rated by our cruise experts!
Rotterdam Deck is without question the high-rent district of the ship. This is where all the suites and penthouse category cabins are located. Given that this is where the high-dollar cabins are, this is also where the best cabin stewards are usually assigned. Cruisers may want to consider reserving near this area because staff service is likely to be excellent! Some of the best cabins on the Nieuw Amsterdam are on the Rotterdam Deck!
- The two Penthouse Suites on Deck 7 of the Nieuw Amsterdam are among the largest in the Holland America fleet!
- On the Nieuw Amsterdam's Deck 7, 7035, J7039, J7041, and J7046 are inner cabins nearby the penthouse suites. Staff service in this area will probably be outstanding.
- Of the Superior Verandah Suites, SS7080 and SS7079 are oddly shaped and a bit roomier than the others on the Nieuw Amsterdam's Deck 7.
- Aft on Deck 7 of the Nieuw Amsterdam, Deluxe Verandah Suites SB7132 and SB7137 have heavenly ocean views.
- Also aft on the Nieuw Amsterdam's Deck 7, Veranda Staterooms with best views are VA7134, VA7136, VA7138, VA7143,VA7141, and VA7139.
Deck 8 -- Navigation Deck
Navigation Deck on the Nieuw Amsterdam features several Deluxe Verandah Staterooms, and all exterior accommodations have Verandahs. However, Lido Deck is just above, so there could be a noise factor to consider from the Lido pool areas, such as scraping when staff move deck chairs for cleaning during off hours, and from the Lido casual dining.
- On Deck 8 of the Nieuw Amsterdam, A8025- SB8169 may be most affected by Lido noises.
- Verandah Staterooms V8025, V8026, V8116, and V8119 have wheelchair accessibility on the Nieuw Amsterdam's Navigation Deck.
- Inside cabins I8033, I8037, I8041, I8045, I8056, and I8060 are more spacious than average on Deck 8 of the Nieuw Amsterdam.
- Aft on the Nieuw Amsterdam's Deck 7, Deluxe Verandah Suites SB8162 and SB8169 have superb ocean views.
- Best views from a Verandah Stateroom can be had aft from VA8164, VA8166, VA8168, VA8175, VA8173, and VA8171 on the Navigation Deck of the Nieuw Amsterdam!
Deck 10 -- Panorama Deck
The Nieuw Amsterdam's Panorama Deck accommodations may have some noise from Lido Deck pool and dining just beneath it. The forward section of this deck exclusively features Spa accommodations, which include an iPod docking station, an in-room countertop water feature, and yoga mats. Exclusive spa treatments are also available.
- Forward on the Nieuw Amsterdam's Deck 10, Deluxe Spa Verandah Suites SU10005 and SU10006 are very spacious!
- On the Nieuw Amsterdam's Panorama Deck, VA10001 through CA10004 do not have verandahs, but do feature great ocean views.
- With the exception of CA10001-CA10004 and four interior cabins, all of the staterooms have verandahs on Deck 10 of the Nieuw Amsterdam.
- If booking a Spa stateroom or suite, ask in advance about the smoking policy on the Nieuw Amsterdam's Panorama Deck. Spa cabins are relatively new to Holland America, and it will be to your advantage to know of any changes in their general policy before booking Spa grade accommodations.
Deck 11 -- Observation Deck
The Observation Deck on the Nieuw Amsterdam has Holland America's Deluxe Spa Verandah Staterooms (VQ11001-VQ11010). Spa accommodations feature spa amenities, which include an iPod docking station, an in-room countertop water feature, and yoga mats. Exclusive spa treatments are also available.
- If booking a Spa stateroom or suite, ask in advance about the smoking policy on Deck 11 of the Nieuw Amsterdam. Spa cabins are relatively new to Holland America, and it will be to your advantage to know of any changes in their general policy before booking Spa grade accommodations.
- On Deck 11 of the Nieuw Amsterdam, VQ11001 is closest to the cafe area and might be a bit noisier than other spa staterooms.
- On the Nieuw Amsterdam, VQ11009 and VQ11010 are nearby the Cabana Club, so noise may be a factor. Booking a cabin farther forward on Deck 11 may be an option to consider.
- All of the exterior staterooms have verandahs on the Nieuw Amsterdam's Observation Deck.